Inspiring Community through Service
The Loyd motto was inspired by the Loyd family’s commitment to service and philanthropy. Each of the five core values plays into how residents will live out their SMU experience as being part of the Loyd Family.
To create a foundation for the trajectory of Loyd, the planning team established five core values for residents of Loyd – creativity, friendship, growth, purpose, responsibility.
- Creativity – Embracing the richness that our innate originality and imagination can bring to all situations
- Friendship – Trust, understanding, and respect between individuals that positively contributes to Loyd and the broader SMU community
- Growth – The continual discovery of self, others, and the world
- Purpose – Resolving to actively pursue and discover one’s beliefs and values
- Responsibility – Fulfilling duties and fostering relationships with passion and virtue
The five L-beams in the top half of the Loyd crest represent the five Loyd values. The plants on the bottom half of the crest were selected by SMU Integrated Marketing to represent the wildgrass and bluebonnets planted around the George W. Bush Presidential Center next door to Loyd Commons.